Friday 27 March 2020

State of Alarm - Day Twelve

After breakfast, a phone call from Solveig, to say my clean 'Certificado de Penales Antecendetes' had arrived in her mailbox - under a fortnight since we visited Ibiza Puerto to arrange it. This is such a relief! Later, a photo of the document arrived, to be going on with, which meant that I could email it to Laura the Safeguarding officer dealing with it, and Emma who looks after us Locums - I understand that London HQ staff are home working now. As Bishop David and Archdeacon David are both aware of this little saga, I copied the email to them as well. Within the day I had responses from them. One small issue less to be fretting over in this time of major crisis for the diocese.

Rosi called by with some domestic rubber gloves for me. She was on her way back from taking a sick and injured hedgehog to the 'Hedgehog Hospital' not far from here. I've walked past the house a few times it seems. These creatures are an endangered species on the island, many have been lost in recent years, run over by the increasing number of cars frequenting the narrow country roads. Rosi is a keen island wildlife conservationist, also busy and active in animal welfare.

She stood outside the gate wearing a mask just in case, and we chatted for a while. It seemed so bizarre. As she left, drops of rain fell. In minutes the ground was covered with a layer of hailstones! It's that time of year. Still lots of cold air around.

After daily exercise, I recorded the pieces of my sermon and stitched them together with the audio files Sarah recorded using Audacity on the office PC. The entire Ministry of the Word was half an hour's length, ten minutes longer than usual, but the MP3 file size was just under the website limit. The Ministry of the Sacrament was under twenty minutes, and needed additional edits to include the Passiontide variable parts. All was read ready to send off tomorrow before sunset this week.

While I was working, the PC started to give off a loud noise, not through speakers but from the cooling fan, which came on for no reason I can think of. Audacity is rarely processor intensive, and only when there's some demanding activity like gaming does one ever hear the fan. It this a Windows system update glitch I wonder? Or some hidden process running otherwise undetected? Next time it happens I need to inspect what processes are actually running at the time.

I've been listening to Cuban music today for a change, during my walk. It's very danceable, so some of my steps were a little salsa-ish. Glad to have such a variety of music on the SD card in my phone. Another busy day, nodding off already by bed time, but such a cold damp night. The dehumidifier is
as essential as a heater in this climate, all year round, it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment