Friday 15 May 2020

State of Alarm - day Fifty Nine

Another decent night's sleep, but waking up feeling tired again. I continued working on the Sunday service service after breakfast, and not long after I'd got started, I had another text message from British Airways to say that my flight into London City Airport on June 1st is cancelled. Before my head stated spinning with that 'out of control' feeling of anxiety - which I didn't need with half a day's work ahead of me and not much energy left after Wednesday's airline fracaso, I took Kath up on her promise to deal with re-booking, and fight my corner for me, and forwarded the text message to her immediately.

Perhaps it is because she has fast broadband and is in the UK, or because BAe have fixed their page loading problem, but this time she got on to the re-booking page immediately, and booked a place on a IBX-LCY flight on June 8th instead. That's now three cancellations in ten days.

Will June 8th be repatriation day? I have no confidence left in BA's proposals. No doubt the changing statistics of the pandemic both in Ibiza and UK create new uncertainties all the time. There are probably not enough people wanting to fly in or out of Ibiza to London to make the cost of a two way flight with social distancing viable.

Schengen open border provisions are supposed to be resumed on June 15th, and after that date some measure of a return to scheduled flights is being proposed. We'll see if it's delivered by any airline, let alone BA. If only they had enough moral integrity as a company to advise people of the fluidity of the situation. They'll take your money and cancel your flight often enough to make you wonder if you'd unwittingly fallen into one of those covid-19 scams.

This means I'll have to obtain prescription medication again, and this time around wound dressings as well, as I am likely to run out of all I brought with me by then. I have made a two month's supply stretch to three so far, as the wound has been easier to manage. Meanwhile I have to cope with the emotional exhaustion associated with such a roller-coaster ride, and it's certainly taking it's toll on me. If I wasn't fit and well enough to get two hours of fresh air and exercise each day, I dread to think what kind of state I'd be in. Space to adjust and resign myself to a situation I have no control over, is all I need at the moment.

Once I'd completed most of the work needed on the Sunday service, I walked to Sumo supermarket to get a few things I couldn't find at Es Cuco, and returned with a heavy rucksack of supplies to see me through the weekend. Staff there are also cheery and pleasant. No doubt they are glad to be able to work when so many cannot. The positivity of people in the face of such a deadly crisis with such an uncertain future ahead is quite inspirational. I wonder what it's like in BA's back offices?

No comments:

Post a Comment