Monday 4 May 2020

State of Alarm - day Forty Eight

Another gloriously warm day. I was a little slow getting started this morning with a load of washing to do after breakfast, and then had an unexpected call from Owain just as I was about to set off on my morning walk, which put me behind schedule, not that it matters that much. There aren't many walkers out. More people go about business in cars on weekdays, it seems to me. Having completed this week's Bible Study last night, I recorded and edited it after lunch then emailed it to Dave for uploading.

I then drove up to the recycling point with a month's worth of sorted stuff to dispose of in the neatly ordered receptacles near 'Es Cuco'. After that I completed the second half of the day's walk. Rosi told me to look out for wild orchids, which appear at this time of year, but no luck so far, though I do see new flowers emerging which weren't there a month ago.

After supper, for a change, I relaxed on the bed, listening to the Leningrad Symphony number 7 by  Shostakovich, written as a memorial to those who died during the three year Nazi siege of city, over a million civilians and several million soldiers on both sides. I was fascinated to learn that it was performed in the city under siege in 1942, and that a microfilmed orchestra score was smuggled to the USA and performed there live a few months later under the direction of Arturo Toscanini. It is still performed in the city's cemetery in honour of the 600,000 war victims buried there. Great music in every sense of the word. 

I wonder how the world will remember covid-19 pandemic victims once monitoring, treatments and vaccines are universally available? It may be slowing down, but it's far from over. We have yet to see the impact this will have on very poor countries. Will it end up being as high as the fifty million victims of the 1918 pandemic?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment