Monday 7 June 2021

Back on the buses

The sun shone again for most of the day, and it was warm. I had an uncomfortable night and felt as if I was jet-lagged. Maybe a delayed after effect of the anaesthetic? My head only cleared properly after a spell of exercise in the afternoon.

As I'm still feeling cautious about driving, I took a 17 bus from Cowbridge Road East to Glanely to meet Jan for a briefing on taking services there. I should have taken the 18, bus that goes there from town on an anti-clockwise route from Glanely to Caerau and back, as the journey is ten minutes shorter than the 17 which goes clockwise via Caerau to Glanely. Lesson learned. Ten minutes extra of very bumpy ride at speed, or so it feels. We talked for over an hour and a half. 

By the time I got home, Clare had been for a hospital appointment, returned and cooked lunch, which I expected to do. But tben Jan and I did have a lot of catching up to do, more than we can ever achieve when I meet her and Peter walking their dogs out in the park. She's all bubbling with happiness because her fabulous 'La sistema' youth orchestra project has continued to develop and recruit new teachers during lock-down, and now socially spaced rehearsals can resume. Just wonderful!

In ten days, I'm doing a funeral at the Res, which is partly why I went for a briefing. After lunch and a siesta, I called the chief mourner of the bereaved family and arranged to meet with them on Thursday morning. Then at five I started making my way to St German's by bus to celebrate their six o'clock Mass. I missed the 61, walked to Canton Cross and mistakenly got on a number one that goes to the city centre via the Bay taking much too long for me. I got off it in Grangetown, and picked up a ninety two that got me to the bottom of St Mary Street, then from outside the New Library, a third bus to Pengam Green that dropped me off by the Old Infirmary, five minutes walk from St Germans's, so I got there in time by five to six. Nobody would have guessed at how convoluted and haphazard my journey had been!

After celebrating with three others, I took an X59 bus from Newport Road to Dumfries Place and walked there rest of the way home across Bute Park and up the west bank of the Taff, and got back by half past seven.. For cross-town journeys, to St Germans, I'll be glad when I can use the car comrfotably again, less hassle and safer than some of the buses. There's always a minority that won't wear a mask or don't wear one correctly, ignoring the resentment of other passengers, ignored by despairing drivers, who try their best to get passengers to comply with safety rules. The bigger the bus the more likely, it seems to me, there'll be a few flouting the law insouciantly.

After supper, we watched the end of a seven year old episode of 'Fake or Fortune', then this week's NCIS new screening of a series 18 episode. Then it was time to turn in. But it's still hard to get to bed before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment