Monday 21 June 2021

Summer solstice

A slow and lazy start under a grey overcast sky. It's the longest day today. We went for a walk to the south beach in the morning and bought fish and chips for lunch on our way back. After a siesta, we walked southwards again on the coast path, half way to New Quay. Over the harbour we saw a buzzard circle and then dive to attack a gull unsuccessfully. The next time the bird circled overhead I got a few photos of it with my Olympus camera about 30 meters overhead. I was quite surprised at the good quality of the cropped image obtained after basic processing. I got another excellent image of a bird which flew out of a bush on to the beach nearby. I think it may have been a meadow pipit. The hedgerow along a part of the coast path was strewn with wild roses and honeysuckle, foxgloves and many other flowers we didn't know the names of. So beautiful.

I had an email from Michelle and Andy while I was out, asking if they could postpone Harry's christening for a month as they'd had a couple of family bereavements. I got in touch with Fr Phelim to discuss this, and found myself being asked if I was free to cover St German's services in August, in addition to doing the christening on the first. He actually finishes his ministry there the last Sunday in July, and then takes a month off to move house and take time out before starting as Area Dean of South West Birmingham. He'll be a great loss to the diocese. I'm pleased to be back looking after St German's again as often as needed as I have done three times previously when there have been breaks in ministry there.

This evening after uploading my third batch of photos, I watched the most recent episode of NCIS to reach channel 5USA - it's nearly the end of the penultimate series that has been made, and the winds of change are blowing. Gibbs looks his age (70-ish) and other key team members are looking more their age also. As happened with characters in the long running French crimmie 'Spiral' also. Time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment