Tuesday 1 June 2021

Threatening reality

More blue sky and sun today, the temperature rose to 25C right into the evening. The heat relaxes me and made up for not sleeping as well or as long as I needed to. All our meals were taken outdoors. I am still unable to sit to eat, but never mind. I managed to sit for half an hour after supper but pressure on the wound eventually led to painful discomfort. It's still early days. We walked around Thompson's Park before lunch. A heron arrived and stood on the alert in the reeds at the edge of the duck pond. I doubt if there are fish in it, just microscopic creatures and plants which ducks enjoy. Very photogenic.

After a late lunch, we went for another walk, over Blackweir Bridge and down through the woods to the Millennium Bridge and back. I wasn't so tired today, and completed by daily walking quota. Exercise and fresh air did me good, made me clear headed and more alert, countering the aftermath of the anaesthetic. I  had a message from Jan at the Res to ask if I'd cover her absence for a few days the week after next. Tomorrow I'm covering Phelim's midweek Mass, while he's away on a cycling tour of all six Welsh Cathedrals. I can't sit to drive, but Kath will take me to St German's and I'll return by bus, standing in the area reserved for wheeled users.

Public Health England reported zero covid deaths today for the first time in a year. It has happened in Wales too I believe, on a few occasions. But not regularly and consistently over a period. That would be noteworthy good news. The numbers of the Indian covid variant continue to grow but this seems not to have much impact on hospital admissions. The vaccination regime has so far proved effective in limiting the spread though not eliminating it. Experts say there's a risk of a third wave of infection developing which could have an impact, and are appealing for delay in lifting all restrictions. 

Meanwhile the covid death rate is soaring in some countries like Peru where under-reporting of fatalities adds to an already chaotic situation in which hospitals are overwhelmed. How can you plan to tackle the crisis faced with a dearth of reasonably correct information? How many more lethal variants are going to emerge that vaccination cannot stop. It seems to me that unless a way is found to eliminate poverty and inequality around the world, {since these are the breeding ground for contagion} it may be impossible to stop even deadlier pandemics, that decimate earth's population and destroy the present global economy. Tolerating poverty and inequality is sinful, and as scripture says, the wages of sin are death. When will we awaken to this truth that threatens? 

No comments:

Post a Comment