Thursday 17 June 2021

Demanding but nevertheless rewarding

I didn't sleep as deeply as I needed, perhaps wondering unconsciously how well I'd cope with a really busy day. First the Eucharist to celebrate at St Catherine's with eleven in the congregation, the taken by car to Pidgeon's chapel of rest for funeral number one, with burial in Llandaff Cathedral cemetery to follow. One of Pidgeon's drivers then took me over the 'The Res' for the second one. 

I needn't have been worried about delays in between. I arrived with three quarters of an hour to spare, time to get acquainted with the church layout and covid protocol, and get to know the verger and her husband, and the organist who sang a charming song version of the 23rd Psalm. The family had chosen two sixties pop songs as the only other music, but Jan told me Geraint the organist would be willing to sing a hymn from the organ console, so I asked and he was happy to oblige. He has a very nice voice.

After the interment in Western cemetery, I came home to a late lunch at a quarter to three, feeling very tired indeed. I had a rest before going out for a walk, but my legs felt like lead, and when I got back, I went to bed again and slept for an hour and a half, while Clare was listening to a WNO Friends Zoom presentation on the work of the company's costume designers and wig makers. I think it was interesting, but I couldn't fight sleep. By supper time I had enough energy restored to watch the evening's Lieder recital competition at Cardiff Singer of the World. 

Another glorious treat, this time in the concentrated form of storytelling through the medium of song, with five contestants singing in eight different languages not just English French German and Spanish, but also Welsh, Malagasy, Xhosa and Kosovan. It was the South African soprano Masabane Cecilia Rangwanasha who captured the hearts of the jury, with deeply emotional singing expressed by a powerful flawless voice. She's also in the main competition finals on Saturday evening.

I guess that's the longest spell of intense concentrated activity I've had other than walking in a very long time. I felt like I'd swum a mile, or run ten. But at least, I didn't feel like that when I was officiating and didn't make any mistakes or lose my nerve at any stage. I need to think about doing some gentle fitness training to improve my overall bodily stamina. My legs are good and strong but the rest of me needs working on, now that my healing is progressing the way I've long hoped it would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment