Friday 3 December 2021

A delivery too late

A very cold bright day, so I stayed in, writing until lunchtime. Another email arrived from Yodel to say our TalkTalk equipment parcel is on it's way and is fiftieth in the delivery queue. This gives us no idea whether to expect it today, tonight or tomorrow. It's just as well that I postponed the Open Reach installer's visit to the 17th of this month. But what a co-incidence that I should receive an appointment for an ultrasound scan of my gall bladder on the same day! Thankfully, it's late in the afternoon and the installation appointment is in the morning.

The Yodel parcel deliveryman turned up a quarter an hour after the original installation time slot was due to end, so it's just as well I re-scheduled. I sent a direct message via Twitter to TalkTalk reporting what had happened, suggesting that they should review their scheduling and their supply agent ability to deliver the goods on time. It's important to give feedback. 

I unpacked the parcel to look at the new router. It attached to the fibre broadband supply through a dedicated form of ethernet plug, which will be connected with a converter box to the fibre optic cable, once installed. This turns the digital optical signal into an electrical one to deliver to the router. I could have set it up myself had the fibre optic cable been installed, except that the engineers are obliged to test the entire new system, once it's running and settled down after the initial connection is made.

After lunch I walked for an hour and a half. The evening sky was magnificent with a scattering of high cirrus clouds turning lovely autumnal colours as the sun set. Most of the trees are bare now, making tens of thousands of starlings visible as they restlessly gather and move from one back of the river to another before settling to roost for the night. In the evening I roosted in front of the telly again, having prepared everything for recording next week's Thursday Morning Prayer. That can wait until tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment