Monday 6 December 2021

Deejaying a funeral?

I drove to Thornhill to take a funeral at the end of this morning. Chapel attendant Clive was keen to show me the new music gizmo installed on the officiant's reading desk, part of a new digital sound system that generates a playlist for everything requested for each funeral of the day. It's a dedicated small tablet which the minister can control, but also the attendant, if requested. There's an identical system at Wenvoe crem, but it's a year since I last saw and used it. It's very clear and straightforward, to be fair, but as I wasn't comfortable about having to use it without a dry run, Clive operated it remotely. I wasn't happy with the playlist order, but thankfully items in it are easy to move around. 

A favourite song of a deceased - Matt Munro singing 'Softly as I leave you' was to be played. I'd suggested the best place for this was after the eulogy, not realising it had been put on the back of the printed order of service, un-noticed by me, as exit music. In the event, Clive was quick witted and copied the track to the end of the playlist, while the service was in progress. Surprisingly, repeating it worked well so it seemed intentional. Next time, I'll have a practice at operating the device on my own, and hope it doesn't stress me and divide my attention from meaningful prayer. With pastoral contact so often minimal these days - clergy shortages and covid anxiety limiting the possibility of visiting even if it is now possible - expectations have changed, so the quality of every service taken must ensure that it's memorable for those attending.

Clare cooked lunch while I was out and left a welcome plateful of pasta to come home to. We walked to the shops together later and then I caught a bus into town to meet Fr Chris Reaney for a coffee and chat in 'Coffee Heaven' on St Mary Street, next door to McDonalds, much nicer to sit in, with arm chiars or tables, and the coffee is served in a proper cup. Rufus and I met here a few weeks ago. This afternoon I discovered that the charming lady who runs the shop is a member of the congregation at St Paul's Pontyclun, and her husband runs an identical shop there in the village. She closes early as soon as it gets dark, and custom tails off. Chris had missed his four o'clock train, and as we were about the leave the lady suggested we wait there until she was ready to leave, after tidying up. Both of them were heading West on the same train, it turned out.

I walked with Chris to Cardiff Central station before continuing to walk home. After supper I had a little work to do around Thursday's funeral, and then settled down to watch another couple of episodes of 'Crossing Lines' on my laptop before turning in for the night. I'm working my way through series two. It is available to stream but hasn't yet been broadcasted. For some strange reason the episodes run without adverts. I don't know why, but it cuts running time by 25%. Too good to last, although apparently it's possible to stream programs ad-free by paying a subscription, a temptation I haven't succumbed to yet. Ad breaks are useful for making a drink, going to the toilet, and even doing Duo Lingo lessons with the TV sound off. Seeing the same sequence of ads a dozen times a night is brain numbingly boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment