Tuesday 3 May 2022

Art Justice done

I did the week's grocery shopping this morning after breakfast. When I returned home Clare was preparing to make lunch. It's the first time in weeks that she's been able to stand comfortably and cook. It's a positive sign that her back pain is getting easier to cope with. We completed making the meal together, one step at a time. Afterwards I put the bedding plant bought yesterday into the ground in the place Clare proposed. I have no idea what it is, but it's a pretty purplish colour.

I pleased not to have fallen asleep after lunch today. In fact, I had a chat on the phone with Chris, recently retired early from ministry in the Llynfi Valley, due to imposed Ministry Area changes, making him redundant. He's not yet used to being out of the role that has occupied him for the past thirty two years, a few years short of pension age.

When I went out for my walk in the park Clare went for another acupuncture treatment. It'll be a day or so before any improvement is noticeable but it does seem to make a difference over time. We met in the park when I was on my way home. At the time, I was sitting on a bench talking to Ashley on the Blackberry, whose SIM should have ceased operating on Saturday as advised, but didn't. Typical BT 'efficiency'.

This evening I watched another in a series about real Sicilian detectives tracking down treasures looted from ancient tombs. Tonight's episode concerned the Europa Calyx Krater, a decorated Greek vase for mixing wine water and spices, a real masterpiece, signed by its maker and its painter five hundred years before Christ. It was uncovered when a tomb was accidentally exposed during road works in Apulia. 

The finder didn't realise its value, and took it home with him. Rumour about the vase reached the ears of low level traffickers to whom he unwittingly sold it for a million lire (less than a thousand euros) and a suckling pig! It was trafficked to Basel, then sold to the Getty Museum. By a series of fortuitous accidents a full account of the theft was pieced together and it was return to a museum in the town near where it was discovered. Justice done!

Then the third episode of serialised novel drama 'Life after Life'. Although it's a bit confusing to follow, tracking back and forth in time, visiting alternative 'What if' scenarios of a woman's life, it's beautifully acted and full of perfect period piece interiors in which the drama is played out. It makes a change from my usual viewing, I must admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment