Sunday 8 May 2022

Resilient Roy

Another beautiful sunny Sunday morning on which to celebrate Mass at St German's. Just after I arrived Father Roy Doxsey arrived. It was his first outing from UHW's trauma unit since he was admitted to the hospital after being hit by a car. His injuries were serious and life threatening, including head injury. He spent his 80th birthday in hospital, but thanks to superb medical care he making a good recovery, though still with a few gaps n his memory. He's determined not to go into a home for retired clergy, or sheltered accommodation. The adaptation of his flat in the former St Ann's Clergy House to enable supported living where he's lived for the past ten years is under way. He's already planning to throw a party, he says.

By the time I returned from church Clare had lunch on the table, an indication her being able to cope with the back pain, diminished but by no means gone away yet. Afterwards, I sat down to do my daily Due Lingo drill, and no sooner had I finished than I fell asleep for a hour and a half in the chair, sabotaging my effort to do without an afternoon siesta. Then I went out for a walk in the park. There were scores of small groups sitting out on the grass, and down by Blackweir Bridge three pony and trap ensembles belonging to the local Traveller community were parked on the grass and the horses being led to water after their trip across town. I think that's the first visit they've made so far this year. They appear about once a month, a lovely reminder of summers past in another era.

There wasn't much of interest on telly tonight, apart from 'The Antiques Roadshow' so I spent an hour or so reading and revising my novel, and then went to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment