Friday 19 May 2023

Spec's lost and lost again

On Wednesday afternoon, I left my favourite pair of spec's in the sacristy at 'The Res'. I took them off to remove my alb afer the service, and forgot to put them back in my pocket. Fortunately Carol found them and contacted me to say she'd bring them to last night's Eucharist, which she did, and I used them during the service. I thought I'd done exactly the same thing again last night, as I couldn't find them when I got home. This morning I had a funeral to take at Pidgeon's Chapel of Rest, and on my way there I called in to St Luke's to get them, but they weren't where I last recall using them. I couldn't spend time searching before the funeral, and had to use my newest pair instead of my working pair, which I much prefer.

The funeral concluded with burial in Radyr Cemetery, and then I returned for an early lunch. I was due to go to Llandough Hospital for a cardio scan just before three, so I left early and re-visited St Luke's to do a more thorough search, but still couldn't find them. I went back to the Victoria Park pub as I might have dropped them there when we were having a drink after the service, but no spec's had been handed in. They may have fallen out of my top pocket at some stage without me noticing going from church to pub. I'm really upset about this. Finding an exact replacement will take time as well as money.

I was admitted early for my scan and was home again by half past three. After a rest, I went out for a walk around Llandaff Fields. Friday evening is cricket practice night, and classes are held for the kids, and it's mainly Asians who turn up. I was struck by the number of young women and girls among the men, some were wearing team kit of their own. It's a sign that enthusiasm for playing cricket among women is growing internationally these days.

Following our monthly fish delivery from Ashton's, we had laver bread for supper. We're holidaying in Burry Port next week on the Llwchwr Estuary, and we may be lucky enough to have seafood and laver bread from the locality which produces them. After supper we watched an episode of the Welsh Travel series called 'Weatherman Walking' by the BBC Wales weather presenter Derek Brockaway. It was about a ten mile walk he did down the Gwendraith Valley, along a path which used to be a coal mining railway line from the area pits to Llanelli's docks, next to Burry Port on the coast. In the nineteenth century the line down the Valley also went into the docks at Burry Port. It was quite an industrial area with smelting industries too. Since South Wales pits closed in the eighties land occupied by mines has been cleared, landscaped and reforested, so there's little to show of its industrial past.

After this, the last episode of the second series of 'Astrid - Murders in Paris'. A different series will be aired from next Friday, and some time later the third and fourth series will be shown with another dozen episodes remaining. It seems likely the break is necessary for subtitling them to be completed, as these episodes came out in France only last year. It's enjoyable entertaining stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment