Thursday 4 May 2023

Informative drama, made in Switzerland

I woke up in time to post my Morning Prayer link to WhatsApp, and then listen to Thought for the Day. After breakfast, I walked to Pidgeons for a lift to Thornhill for today's funeral. We arrived twenty minutes early but a previous funeral with a double slot was over-running, and the chapel wasn't free until five minutes before ours was due to start. There had been a couple of hundred attending, plus a womens' choir which continued singing for ten minutes after the congregation left. Most unusual. 

There were about two dozen at the service I took, and it ran to time despite starting late.
Just three rows of seats in the chapel were occupied, quite a contrast to the previous one. The recorded music played far too loudly for a ninety percent empty chapel so I had to keep turning down the volume on each new track to ensure it was tolerable. Two hundred people soak up a lot of sound. Empty space makes it bounce around and unpleasantly noisy.

The service ended at Pantmawr Cemetery with a burial, so the coffin stayed outside the curtain on its trolley during the service. I don't recall this happening before a burial from here.

After cooking lunch, I slept for nearly two hours, surprisingly, despite a good night's  sleep. Then I went for my usual walk in the park before settling down to watch the rest of 'Sacha' the Swiss crimmie set in Geneva. Interestingly, it was strong on dialogue with little use of action or scenery. Even so, a strong narrative about the interconnections between child abuse, prostitution, money laundering, people trafficking and organised crime, wrapped around a personal story of suffering. Well conceived.

No comments:

Post a Comment