Saturday 27 May 2023

Unexpected affirmation

We decided yesterday we'd go out to breakfast this morning (after a bowl of porridge and the daily round of pills) for a coffee and croissant at the recently opened Alex Gooch bakery café in the new housing area built on the old Laundry building in Llandaff Road. Then I returned and completed work on tomorrow's sermon. Rufus called and said he and Daria were coming over to Pontcanna and suggested we meet at the local Coffee #1, which we did, and had an enjoyable catch-up sitting in the sun at an outdoor table, until it was lunchtime. Clare prepared a fish pie while I was out and we ate under the sunshade on the patio.

We both had a longish siesta after lunch, still tired from yesterday's travel and exchange of abodes. I went out again then and walked again for an hour and a half before supper. There was nothing of interest on telly, so I spent the rest of the evening, preparing next Wednesday's funeral, interrupted by an exchange of emails from my old friend Richard Johnson who was our family GP when we were in Halesowen. We met over a deathbed ministry, and continued through a shared interest in the emerging world of Personal Computing, both of us being 'early adopters'. 

Tonight's exchange started by him reminding me of a time some thirty five years ago when he was finding difficulty accepting relationships between gay people when he and his wife were preparing for confirmation. I said a few things about the expression by Jesus of unconditional love towards others, and that helped him to come to terms with his misgivings. He's retired now and, like me reviewing his life, and decided to express to me his appreciation for this guidance. It was an unexpected affirmation, as I've got used to thinking over the years that nobody really listens to anything I say!

A cheering note on which to retire to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment