Friday 28 July 2023

Milestone MOT

Up for breakfast at eight o'clock on a day of clouds and sunshine. When I was saying morning prayer later, I realised I'd made a mistake in selecting the lesson for next week's Morning Prayer video. Today's New Testament reading was what I thought was the one for next Thursday. As a result the reflection I'd written for the occasion was incorrect, so I reverted to the text for that day, amended it, then set about writing a different reflection. I can re-record the lesson and reflection, edit the sound recording and change the accompanying video slide show to suit. Fortunately, I keep handy backups of every recent project, there's no need to re-record the whole thing. When all the changes are made the new version can be uploaded to YouTube. That'll teach me to be more careful next time.

Clare went out for coffee with Diana mid-morning and I cooked lunch in time for her return. We couldn't eat and I had to got to the surgery for another blood pressure check. On this occasion it was deemed to be normal so I was 'discharged' i.e. don't need another.  Hopefully this information will percolate back to the hospital waiting list database containing my pre-op information, though I doubt it will make any difference to the amount of queuing time, already five years. From the surgery, I walked to Cowbridge Road to take a bus into town. As I reached the stop a C1 cross-city bus arrived, which took me to West Grove in Adamsdown, leaving me with just fifteen minutes walking to reach the N G Motors garage to collect the car, freshly serviced and MOT'd for another year, and still with only 50,000 miles on the clock instead of an average mileage of 200,000 miles for a car sixteen years old. I think we've only driven about 8,000 miles since we bought it. I called at Lidl's for some groceries before driving home.

I was listening to Radio Three on the way back, and just as I arrive home Beethoven's Ninth symphony was about to play, so after eating the lunch I cooked earlier, I sat and listened to it for an hour. Ashley rang after it finished. It's a month since we last talked. We chatted for half an hour, then I went out for another walk before supper.

I did the necessary work to amend next Thursday's prayer video after supper and post a new version to YouTube. It took me an hour. Then I watched this week's episode of 'Disturbing Disappearances' on More Four, about the abandonment of a new-born child and disappearance of its teenage mother. It was unconventional, both a police procedural and a family drama at the same time, touching both bases successfully, hitting the feelgood factor in its happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment