Saturday 29 July 2023

Three pairs in a day

Up late for a pancake breakfast after another broken night's sleep. I spent the morning building an archive of the biblical Reflections I've posted on the WhatsApp Morning Prayer thread over the past two and a half years. I deleted many of them from my Google drive, to save space so it was a matter of downloading the entire thread and going through thousands of entires to delete everything else that wasn't one of my contributions. It took me over two hours to save a file with 2020-2021 entries. The rest will have to wait for the moment.

Clare cooked an excellent stir fry with mussels and rice for lunch. After we had our siesta we went out for a walk. It was cloudy with occasions glimpses of sun and gusts of wind. Still nothing like summer weather in the forecast for the net month, meanwhile southern Europe continues to swelter, though for the moment the incidence of wildfires is slowly diminishing. After one circuit of Llandaff Fields Clare returned home, but I continued walking for another hour and a half.

I was buzzed by low flying martins circling in an area where they were finding insects. There were swifts and swallows over the Taff, and a noticed a pair of egrets standing on the water's edge of the east bank just below Blackweir Bridge. Then two herons flew down-river, turning away to circle low together for a short while before splitting up and disappearing from sight. I also saw a pair of red admiral butterflies circling each other in their mating dance. Of the three pairs I only got a long distance photo of the egrets, but it was great to see, making a change from gulls, magpies, pidgeons and crows which predominate. 

When I got home, I had a large slice of the apple pie which Clare made yesterday. Just delicious. Half an hour later we had supper, then I settled down with the Chromebook to watch the last four episodes of 'Top Dog' before printing my sermon for tomorrow and turning in for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment