Saturday 15 July 2023

Network reconfigured

A day of sunshine and spasmodic downpours. Pancakes for breakfast, then at ten neighbour Rob came to collect a juicer which Clare bought some years ago, but didn't use much, so it was just taking up space in the cupboard, so she offered it to Rob after having a chat about it. He works as a database engineer on cloud based information systems, mostly from home. He's long been an early new tech' adopter, as I once was. He regards engineering home based networks of devices including 'internet of things' domestic cameras and sensors as one of his hobbies. He loves the challenge I think! 

Some time back he told me it was possible to reconfigure my powerline internet wi-fi devices to attach to the internet by cloning the router's unique details on each one. When each one has a different identity on the network, moving around the house with a phone or tablet is very glitchy, depending on signal strength and speed of response of the device in changing attachment from one wi-fi extender to another. If each one has the same identity as the router, it's possible to move around without the phone or table making a fuss about it and going slow. It's the equivalent of having a master key to move between locked rooms. I could understand this, but when I tried to reconfigure one of my wi-fi plugs, I failed. It was more complex than I could deal with correctly - or you could say I ran out of patience with the process. 

Anyway, I asked Rob if he could do me a favour and reconfigure the plugs for me. He willingly accepted the challenge, and did the job on each of the plugs from my office workstation. It was a first time success. Now we have seamless no fuss wi-fi everywhere in the house. Later in the day I baked a batch of bread and Clare took him a thank-you loaf.

I continued working on tomorrow's sermon before and after lunch. It took longer than usual as tomorrow's readings didn't easily yield insights to work on, and when they did, they needed shaping into an interesting and coherent text to deliver. If I give this enough time, it's satisfying and worthwhile.

Late afternoon I walked to Lidl's in Leckwith for a few grocery items I couldn't get elsewhere, and got soaked in a sudden downpour on my way there. Fortunately it was warm enough for me to dry out on the return leg. There wasn't much to watch on TV so I spent the evening responding to an email needing much thought and attention. And then, after printing tomorrow's sermon, bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment