Saturday 22 July 2023

Non stop rainy day

When I woke up in the middle of the night it was raining, and it continued to rain until mid afternoon. It was nearly nine when Clare woke me up and said breakfast was on the table. She'd already cooked Saturday pancakes, Adrian and Kate were up and ready to eat, so I had to dress in haste and arrive at table still half awake. Nine hours in bed but my sleep tracker recorded that I was only asleep for seven and a half, which is enough, but how I wish I could enjoy unbroken sleep for longer. It's a rarity nowadays, and I do suffer if I get less than six and a half hours. Perhaps it's one of those 'old age' things.

Mid-morning, Adrian and Kate went into town after a briefing on what to visit, and how to enjoy shopping and browsing in Cardiff's delightful century old arcades. We stayed at home, and pottered about until lunchtime, waiting for Kath to arrive for a couple of nights. Owain arrives tomorrow, then we can have a belated 45th birthday celebration. He's been too busy with weekend gigs to come over and spent his actual birthday down in Cornwall, camping with friends.

Kath arrived at half past two and we had a late lunch together. Then I ventured out into the rain and walked for a couple of hours. The rain didn't stop at three, the forecast changed and although it wasn't heavy it persisted until well into the evening. My brolly and rain jacket prented me from getting soaked through, but I couldn't dind my rain trousers, so my bottom half got soaked and I had to change when I got back. Adrian and Kate has arrived before me, having enjoyed a day exploring the city centre arcades, the Bay and the Senedd building, despite the awful weather.

Clare made a lovely supper for the five of us and we talked about our different small countries, about getting through covid, music and arts, and even the state of the church in decline. And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment