Sunday 29 September 2013

Last respects

This morning, I headed out to Llandough for my first service of the day with last night's music still going around in my head, somewhat preferable to the musical offering of BBC Radio 4's Sunday worship from Latimer Minster in South Buckinghamshire, an evangelical initiative describing itself as a 'Missional' church. I arrived early enough to have time to stop and photograph a small herd of cattle grazing by the river Thaw in the autumn sunshine.


I back tracked to St Hilary for the second Eucharist, a congregation still mourning the sudden loss of one of its long standing stalwarts John Curteis, buried outside in the north west corner of the churchyard after a service last Thursday. As he was a prominent public figure, there'll be a memorial service for him in Llandaff Cathedral in a fortnight's time. Before driving home for lunch after the service I went to his grave, still covered with a huge white wreath of flowers, and prayed for the repose of his soul. I'd first met him when I was at St John's, as a fellow member of the Order of St John and the United Services Mess. He will be missed by many.

Owain joined us for lunch. By the end, I could hardly stay awake, and needed a nap. It's been a demanding, busy week. We went out for a stroll and tea in Bute park, enjoying the late afternoon sunshine. After supper, we watched another delightful episode of ''Young Montalbano' on iPlayer. Eddie and Ann are fans too.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment