Monday 2 September 2013

On-line chores

Spiro came around this morning and installed the new front room light fitting. We all agreed the right choice had been made, second time around. It looks really good in situ, so we are delighted. Then, I booked a flight for a return trip to the Costa del Sol in November, this time for locum duty in the eastern chaplaincy based of Fuengirola.  I followed Clare's example, flying with Vueling out of  Cardiff airport, getting there with the new four times an hourly airport shuttle for free with my bus pass. The cost of travel will be the lowest I've paid for ages, only partly because it's at low season prices. Best of all, flights in both directions are at convenient hours. Between now and then, autumn duties in the Vale of Glamorgan, to add to my continued pleasure in voluntary ministry.

Late afternoon, I spent a couple of hours in the CBS office adding more information to our DISC intranet site and sending emails. Then, in a couple of hours after supper, I filled in my tax form on-line. Last year this chore was completed early June because I needed to sort my affairs before going to the Costa Azahar for three months. This year, I prepared all the documents before going away on holiday, but didn't have time to steel myself for the effort of concentrating thoroughly on so much detail. It always takes me a little time to figure out what some of the questions mean, and go over the calculations to ensure I haven't forgot anything. 

After ten years of use, I find the HMRC on-line tax form procedure straightforward. Small textual variations from year to year, as fiscal policy changes. Reading and re-reading is necessary to be sure to understand and answer correctly. Answers that require text box input are a pain, as it's easy to forget that use of the 'carriage return' is not allowed. It's easy to type them in habitually, earning a big red error message. Still, it could be worse. Booking a flight and completing a tax form all in the same day gives me a great sense of achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment