Wednesday 11 September 2013

Nine eleven remembered

After a month of inaction, with an hour to spare on Saturday I started revising chapters of my book from some of the suggestions made by Peter Sedgwick. Monday morning I woke up early thinking about it, and got to work on it straight away. Apart from praying the daily office, meals and comfort breaks, I worked on it all day until bed time, a stretch of fourteen hours. Crazy maybe, but the energy was there for it, and I got more than half of the job done as a result. Tuesday and today, I went into the office in the afternoon but carried on working on the book, and completed the rest. It has a different structure now, having gone from thirteen to eighteen chapters, many of which are shorter. I'll have to print it out now and see how readable it is, and whether my spurt of obsessive behaviour has paid off.

The first version was complete by the time we left Geneva. Re-reading it made me realise how much it needed to incorporate reflection on events since the beginning of the new century - particularly those of this day twelve years ago, which have so profoundly changed the way in which we live. The so-called 'free world' is not what it was, but more of an armed camp on constant alert, in which habitual trust is ever more difficult an attitude in life to maintain. Will we ever re-discover the things that make for peace?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment