Tuesday 24 September 2013

Not curtains

My back hurts, it's stiff and painful after lugging paving stones around yesterday. I'm unused to such intense physical activity. I had a funeral at Thornhill Crematorium mid-morning, an elderly lady whose husband's funeral I'd officiated at three and a half years ago. There were eight people there. When I pressed the button at the end of the Committal the curtains didn't close around the coffin. I pressed again. Nothing. So I carried on to the end as if it was meant to be the way it was despite feeling disconcerted.

After saying farewell to the family, I returned to the chapel to inform the attendant, and found him and his colleague inspecting the lectern and the switching device. He'd told me earlier it was his first day back. What had the others been up to in his absence, he must have been wondering. The director of the next incoming funeral was hovering in the background, surprised to have found the curtain open. He looked at me and said: "It's not the first time it's happened. It'll take a week to get fixed."Blamed on budget cuts, no doubt.

I went into the office in the afternoon, but didn't stay long as I had my usual Chu Gung class to go to early evening. I was pleased to be able to manage it, despite my groaning back.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment