Wednesday 14 September 2016

Old road to Velez

I drove into town this morning, somewhat nervously, as I was uncertain about the last part of the route to St George's Cemetery, and the thought of this made me nervous about getting into heavy traffic and losing my way. I was fortunate as traffic was light, and I had no trouble finding the street along which to travel for the last few kilometres of the journey. Much easier than anticipated! 

I arrived an hour ahead of time, and that gave me plenty of time to take advantage of the office internet connection, and even deal with work issues before the Holy Cross Day Eucharist. There were three of us for the service, although a few visitors wandered in as we were starting. Did they understand what was happening? I couldn't help wondering.

The parking area around the SuperSol in Rincon was busy with an outdoor mercadillo all morning. So, anticipating parking problems, I decided to explore the coast road, the old road to Velez Malaga, before returning to the apartment, and give time to those leaving the market to get away with ease. 

I drove through Benalgabon and Benajarafe as far as ValleNiza. This was the point I'd reached from the other direction when I drove down beyond Velez from Nerja a while back. So now I can say that I've followed the old coast road in stages from Nerja to Malaga.

On the N340a outside Niza is a fine old fortified mansion which has been modernised, to accommodate a restaurant and a hotel school - the Castillo del Marques. Sadly, the building gave the impression that it had closed down earlier this year, although there was no information to state what was happening.

By the time I got back to Rincon. stallholders were leaving and I had no problem parking.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment