Sunday 17 March 2019

A licensing at Evensong

Fr Rhys celebrated the Parish Churches we attended at St Catherine's this morning. I had to rush off to the wound clinic in St David's Hospital straight after, as I had an earlier than usual appointment. It meant I was back home for lunch punctually, and had an afternoon to finish watching the last three episodes of 'Killer by the Lake',

How it all worked out was interesting, as suspicions fell on several people close to the investigators in turn, before an unlikely perpetrator emerged, who was even closer, with a hidden tragic family history and a deadly schizoid condition. It was only thanks to several seemingly unrelated incidents impacting upon the case that the killer was discovered at all, despite the best appliance of crime science to the case. Luck and coincidence played their part, not an uncommon story, I imagine, in real life too. Alongside this, the portrayal, with some fine acting, of a lead detective's mother with early onset Alzheimer's, effectively woven into the storyline - more then, than just a crime thriller. 

I watched on my tablet, stretched out in bed, by far the most comfortable thing to do at the moment. My gluteous maximus muscles have lost bulk with my overall weight loss, so I'm less well padded than I used to be. It means the Seton's sutures dig into me more than earlier so sitting still without getting up for any length of time is hard.

We walked to St John's for Evensong at six. After the sermon, Fr Rhys was licensed to the Parish  by Archdeacon Peggy as a NSM Associate Priest - that's new catch-all designation jargon for whoever isn't Team Rector or Incumbent. It's meant to cover Curates, Team Vicars, and non-stipendiary clergy in a ministry area team, but not those with Permission to Officiate, whether as retirees or salaried priests not on the diocesan payroll, (as I was when a University Chaplain, and when I was a USPG Area Secretary), offering voluntary ministry in Parishes on request without a formal role. It's all a bit odd to the uninitiated.

There were three dozen in the congregation, including Fr Peter Sedgwick, whom I haven't seen for more than a year. We used to meet out in the Fields when he and Jan were walking their dog, but the dog died unexpectedly last year and hasn't yet been replaced so their habitual pattern is in suspense. Peter is active working in a local food bank, with refugees and with homeless people, when he's not taking part in high level ARCIC consultations. And, he's recently published a magisterial tome on a subject close to his own heart, Anglican moral and pastoral theology. It's been well received I'm glad to say. It was very good to catch up with him again.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment