Sunday 24 March 2019

Spring light, Lenten pleasure

Clare and Ann went yesterday morning to the National Museum to see exhibitions of Leonardo da Vinci drawings and Kyffin Williams paintings, and then have lunch in town. I did my bereavement visits and for the first, I caught a convenient to bus out to Ely. Later in the afternoon, it was a matter of driving to Penarth for the other. Had I not siesta'd quite as long, I might have also caught a bus for this as well, but didn't give myself enough time. It's good to know I can drive modest distances again should the need arise. Wound healing progresses well, and it's a lot less weepy now than even week ago, though for no discernable reason I still get bouts of discomfort.

In the BBC Four prime time evening slot, another Icelandic drama, this time a tragic modern ghost story. I wanted to watch this but the girls wanted to watch something else, so I went to bed after supper and used my Chromebook. First, I watched an episode of 'Vanished by the Lake' on the Walter Presents Channel'. It's a fair compromise, and if sitting for any length of time is too uncomfortable there's a fall back option, literally.

This morning I celebrated and preached at St Catherine's, then walked to St David's clinic just on time, only to find it deserted. While we were away there was a phone call, left on our answering machine, about a schedule change from 15.30 to 12.20, which was actually more convenient for us. Clare rang back to confirm acceptance of the schedule change, but was kept on hold for so long with the call handler 'just checking', she thought she'd been cut off, so she put down the phone, and hoped for the best. The confirmatory call wasn't registered on the nursing computer schedule, explaining how nobody was there to see me, so I left an explanatory note on the treatment room door and went home for lunch. Ah well, I got the exercise, just turning up, and home dressing is fine, until we start running out of medical supplies.

After a siesta, a walk around Thompson's Park, enjoying another cheering day of blue skies and sunshine. It was Spring Equinox on Thursday last, and the clocks go forward next weekend. It's lovely to have lighter evenings worth enjoying outdoors. Leaves are starting to unfurl next to the blossom on many trees, the colours are exquisite. It's very much a season of renewal, and I must keep reminding myself of this at a time when Lent type efforts seem to me foreign and irrelevant. Unless being obliged to give up over-activity is really a form of renunciation!

Clare still reckons I'm doing more than I should. I'm pretty tired after the past few days of travelling, as I often seem to be after a period of non-routine activity, but it was so good to go away and see the sea again, something I've missed all winter. I must be sure to let my body catch up, even if it's hard to build up stamina reserves at the moment.

Anyway, I retired early again and watched a couple more episodes of 'Vanished by the Lake'. It's set in the Provencal pre-Alp mountain town of Sainte Croix du Verdon, north of Toulon. It has the same main detective characters as in 'Killer at the Lake' which I watched a few weeks ago, except that the lake in question isn't Annecy, as in the longer later series, but the Lac de Sainte Croix. There seems to be no indication in either series of the back story behind the change of setting. A mystery!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment