Tuesday 19 March 2019

Post surgical briefing

We drove to UHW Heath hospital this morning to meet colorectal consultant surgeon Mrs Cornish during her day on Duthie Ward. We had a good question and answer session before she examined me, thoroughly and with surprising vigour, which left me feeling a little bruised. At least, she was satisfied with progress so far, and now I know much better where I stand. Although she's pleased, the process isn't going to be as straightforward as I originally thought. I may need several more minor ops over this year for complete success in healing, because of the complexity of the condition when finally treated properly. It depends on what hidden pockets of infection the next MRI scan reveals, following the op expected in 4 weeks time. This will modify if not remove the two Seton's sutures in place. For some poor folk such hidden sources of nastiness don't show, and they have to endure with further occasional outbreaks for life. 

Completely successful treatment without recurrence it seems is a challenge, and that's where FIAT 500 comes in. Not the car, but a collaborative international surgical research programme on fistula treatment. If I got the story right, I think it stands for Fistula Intervention Alternative Treatments. 500 is the number of patients being followed, with four strategies for dealing surgically with fistula damage assessed to ascertain which treatment path offers the best outcome. This shows the determination and effort going into dealing with what seems to have become a common chronic ailment soaking up medical resources. Finding the most effective approach will benefit patients and the economics of medical care. 

Although I am stuck with the sutures for the time being, the next op will make them more easy to manage and liveable with. So, travel afar may be possible and even insurable later on this year. if it's a 'managed condition'. Apparently, that's an acceptable risk to insurers, something I never needed to know before! I was reassured that the next op wouldn't call for any change in scheduled duties. Just like last time in fact. It's good to know. I'd be very sad not to able to play an active part in Parish observances of Passiontide and Easter, a favourite time of year for me. 

This was a good meeting. I feel that for the first time I have gained an understanding of the process of this treatment. I can accept the uncertainties, possible reasons for things not going according to plan, and what I need to continue doing to optimise the path to healing. This makes me cheerful, in spite of the fact that it may take much longer than I hoped.

After lunch, it was Clare's turn to be driven by me back to UHW for an eye appointment, fitted in to a schedule already overcrowded by the cancellation of a previous clinic. I drove  from the hospital down to Newport Road retail park to visit the big Currys PC World superstore there to see what's new and what's on offer. I was interested to see some HP Chromebooks on sale there, as well as Acer and Asus offerings, though no sign of Lenovo or Dell Chromebook models. I've only seen the stylish Acer and Asus models in the city centre store. Sadly consumer demand for Chromebooks seems to be poor in this country, despite them being far more hassle free than Windows devices.

Talking of poor demand, the company which acquired Staples business supplies stores and rebranded them 'Office Outlet' stores has gone into liquidation. I thought their prices too were high and range of product choices too low to be worth the effort when on-line bulk buying is so convenient, as long as you have someone available to await delivery. So I'm not surprised this business failed.

This consumer digital superstore was almost empty. Maybe it's busier at weekends or evenings. As is being said often these day, retail businesses have becoming like real world showrooms as more trade is done on-line. I wonder if Currys-PC World digital sales cover the cost of maintaining such huge retail outlets? Will this be a next casualty of the digital shopping revolution? After an hour or so of mooching around a store with lots of bright snazzy new products, none of which I was tempted to buy, Clare called me to return and collect her from UHW, after her long wait to be seen. We got back in time for her to sort herself out and leave for choir rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment