Sunday 31 March 2019

Sleepy Sunday amnesia

Having put the clocks forward early, we got to bed with midnight showing on the clocks, if not our array of digital devices. I woke up having slept only six instead of eight hours, which rather defeated the object of getting an early night, to be sure to be ready for church in good time. It wasn't anxiety as much as never being able to predict how my bowels will function, and consequently when I'll be ready for a wound dressing.

It's horrible for one's life to focus around bodily functions in this way, but it's not nearly as troublesome as it was in the last two months of last year. Anyway, we got to St Catherine's on time, and a congregation of about sixty adults and a dozen children assembled for this quarter's United Benefice Eucharist. 

Immediately afterwards I walked to St David's hospital, pleased to have the duty nurse confirm that the wound is continuing to dry out, albeit slowly. I have to be careful with it, but can move towards a lighter looser dressing in the next few days before surgery next Thursday.

After lunch I was inevitably tired and had a long siesta before taking my Sony Alpha 68 out for a walk in the afternoon sunshine. I didn't take a lot of photos, but on return was most annoyed to find that I'd forgotten to replace the SD card after yesterday's outing to Dyffryn Gardens. The downside with cameras of this type is that the hardware doesn't have an on-board photo file storage, as is the case with fixed lens digital cameras. Even if a memory chip can only store half a dozen photos, it does rescue the user from complete futility on a SD cardless expedition.

Thinking back, this has only happened to me without my noticing a couple of times over the past year. I usually carry a spare card in my wallet for an emergency, but it occurs when I don't feel the need to review a photo I've taken, and don't register the error message generated.

Along with millions of others, I watched the much anticipated first episode of 'Line of Duty', series five. It certainly fulfilled expectations. Then, although it was late, I watched an episode of 'Baptiste' on iPlayer, since my sister June enthused about it while it was broadcast live. Now I can watch all six episodes without having to wait a week between each.

This story has people trafficking and international organised crime as core themes. It's set in Amsterdam's sleazy quarter, with subtitled dialogue in French and Dutch, as well as English. It's the kind of movie I enjoy, to keep me thinking about contemporary concerns and social trends, for good and for ill.
 
TV on demand, to fit with one's cycle of busyness and boredom I find a great asset. It also means you can find out about any series before watching. There's nothing worse than wasting time on something whose promise fails to deliver. To my mind, a great deal of scheduled TV falls into this category nowadays. Even so, I'm binge watching, simply because my active options ae limited at the moment. I so look forward to being able to travel and explore different places once again, one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment