Tuesday 5 March 2019

Breakthrough

Before my wound clinic visit this morning I had a GP appointment to review my top up medication. It gave me an opportunity to bring the doctor up to date on progress since the operation, and on the lack of progress in getting the follow up appointments in place. All in all, from her viewpoint, some progress has been made. My blood pressure is 'normal' for the first time in over a year, as my system is less stressed by the presence of an untreated abscess.

I've been thinking about the difference I felt coming around after the operation. It reminded me of when I had a tooth with an abscess as a child, feeling rotten miserable with toothache. The offending tooth was extracted, and although a gaping hole was left by the tooth bleeding and painful, that debilitating all encompassing sensation was gone. Dostoyevski spoke of this in his work 'Notes from the Underground' 155 years ago, it's something I recall reading in Philosophy classes in University 55 years ago. I lived with that for far too long, and maybe should have made a fuss about not getting treated earlier.

Martina, who is co-translating the book about baby play and digital media with Clare came to lunch today. I cooked a vegetarian sugo to go with pasta, and Clare cooked pancakes for dessert, served with a mix of fruits of the forest. A nice tribute to Shrove Tuesday. And we had pancakes again fro supper to finish off the unused mixture.

Later in the afternoon I went out for a walk, but it started to rain so I went into town on the bus and mooched around the shops for an hour or two. When I got back, I Clare told me that the surgeon, Ms Cornish had phoned, and will call again tomorrow. It was such a relief to know that a conversation about the next steps is now going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment