Saturday 15 June 2019

Small is beautiful but can be fiddly too

I took some flower photos during a sunny spell today with my Sony HX90. It has a tiny viewfinder which extracts from the body and this is one way of switching on the camera. This has a retractable and adjustable eyepiece which is especially useful for me with a impaired left eye vision, not yet impaired enough to warrant a cataract operation. The only this is, I forgot about this feature and in attempting to look through it, smudged the screen display with my nose. In the sunlight this smudge made it impossible to view the screen which has manually adjustable brightness, whose default isn't terribly bright. So I had to go indoors and find a lens cloth before making another attempt to use it. 

This is the smallest of all the high spec long zoom pocket cameras, and the physical difference means having to re-acquire user skill. Fortunately the Sony camera menu system interface is much the same as in my other cameras. It's not the best of the bunch, but the learning carries over from one device to another. I've noticed our garden flowers are visited by several different species of bee, and decided to try and photograph them. By the time I'd worked out how to use the viewfinder, zooming in on a foraging insect, cloud covered the sun, the temperature dropped, and there were raindrops, so the bees promptly vanished from sight.   Pleasing results with flowers despite this.

Later in the afternoon, I went into town and met with Clare for a cuppa in John Lewis. Having one out ahead of me, she'd hunted down some cushions and blackout curtain lining for Owain's flat. What a devoted mother, doing her best to ensure he's comfortable at nominal cost!

We watched 'Inspector Montalbano' in the evening. Disappointingly it was an episode repeated from season ten. Only two new episodes a year, it seems, but still great to watch.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment