Saturday 22 June 2019

A church on top form

Yesterday, I was pleased to receive an email from one of the Europe diocesan administrators Emma Biaggi, enquiring if I would be free to  take on locum duties in Ankara Turkey any time soon, as the Embassy chaplaincy is going to be without a priest. Archdeacon Adele had suggested my name, in the hope that I might now be fit enough for locum duty again. But alas not yet, I had to reply. But, it's so nice to be asked!

I received an appointment letter from Llandough hospital out-patients admin this morning to telling me that the one issued on April 1st for 19th September had been cancelled, to br replaced by one on 8th August. This year. No mention of what I was told on Wednesday last by the surgeon's secretary that I was soon to be examined as a day patient 'under anaesthetic'. Immediately, I wrote a letter to the surgeon reporting this, and asking what I can expect to happen next. She told me last time we met to ignore the 19th September booking - although not to cancel yet, just in case it was needed. 

My letter won't arrive before Tuesday next. Who knows? I may hear something different by Monday. Meanwhile, the wound continues to improve and is slowly closing. That doesn't make it any less comfortable, so I have to be vigilant whenever I go to sit down, or stay seated for any length of time. I've noticed that things are more difficult Thursdays to Sundays, for the simple reason that on these evenings, I am more likely to spend time sitting and watching telly. Having Cardiff Singer of the World on all week for many hours meant that I had either to lie down and listen from afar, or else be sure to get up and move around, or stand to listen instead. But, it's been worth it. Such a wonderful week of music! And all of it from Cardiff city centre. Very proud I am.

Clare cooked one of her delicious bara brith loaves to offer for the refreshments stall at St Catherine's summer fair. It was a marvellous community social event, attracting hundreds of people out on a sunny summer afternoon, with a full range of stalls selling toys, drinks, bric-a-brac raffle tickets, with a throwing wall in a safe corner for those wanting to smash plates or win a coconut. There was a full Punch and Judy show for the kids, with scores of little ones and their parents for an audience. I reckon that most of the regular congregation members were running a stall or helping with one. The church grounds were comfortably full the entire time, and early reports indicated that a large sum of money was raised for church funds. It was a real good news event in my opinion.

When I popped into in Tesco's later, I saw a man wearing a tee-shirt declaring 'Christianity is Stupid'. I thought of St Paul's saying: "The foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom." and was tempted to accost him and ask him what he made of Paul's statement. But then I thought, would he be able to make sense of this?

If his tee-shirt had read 'Brexit is stupid' he might have been attacked for this out on the street. If he wore one saying 'Islam is stupid', he might be liable to prosecution for hate crime. The fact is, Christianity is broad shouldered and tolerant in the face of its detractors, because it bears Good News about freedom, even freedom to reject and not believe when searching for meaning and truth in life. It has to be resilient, even in the face of hostility and persecution, or it ceases to be Good News for all humankind. Such an amazing mystery.

The Cardiff Singer of the World title final was broadcast in the evening, and I watched some of it. The very worthy winner was Ukrainian baritone Andrey Kimach. who distinguished himself in his performances earlier in the week, in a strong field of finalists, all worth listening to. The length of the programme meant that Inspector Montalbano was shown an hour later than usual. It was a rerun from an earlier series, with a convoluted plot, about Mafia corrupt monopolies in the construction industry. It benefited from a second viewing, even though I was quite tired by then.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment