Sunday 30 June 2019

Double duty day

I spent yesterday lying low. Clare and Owain went shopping in town, and Owain came home with a new Samsung phone for his birthday from us. He's also inherited my treasured Toshiba Chromebook and is delighted with it, as it performs so very well compared to the early Samsung he's been using for the past couple of years. He went out to a friend's birthday party for the evening, and once I'd got my sermon ready for the morrow, I went to bed early. There was nothing I wanted to watch on telly, and I needed to put my energy into recovering.

I was up early and out of the house on my way to Splott before nine this morning., to celebrate Mass at St Saviour's Parish Church. It must be over three years since I was last there. Sadly Fr Graham was away visiting his sister for her 70th birthday. I was a bit of a disappointment, as I had looked forward to sharing the Mass with him again, for the first time since I worked for USPG thirty five years ago. Never mind, I'll be here again in August, when I cover for Fr Phelim's annual holiday. Geraint, the St Padarn's ordinand assisted at the service and again at St German's. He's thoroughly enjoying his time in this long term placement, which is pleasing to hear. And the congregations are enjoying him too.

It was delightful to return to St German's, having been unable to offer cover on a Sunday since Fr Phelim's appointment because of being away or ill. It's a place I love to share in worship, whether celebrating or praying with the people. The sun shone brightly in the sanctuary during the Eucharist. It's awesomely beautiful, and slows me right down, it seems, almost to a halt, in pure enjoyment of being in The Presence. This is surely one of those 'thin places' the Celtic mystics talk about.

Clare cooked him a vegan recipe birthday cake, which we had slices of at tea-time. I was grateful to have come through my morning's work and feel none the worse for wear. It was good to know that I can manage to do two service back to back if needed like that. This is a distinct result of my general improvement over the past month, so that I can not get up and get going earlier than at any time in the past nine months. Slowly getting my life back!


No comments:

Post a Comment