Sunday 16 June 2019

Celebrating pure mystery

No Sunday duties for me day, so we went to the Parish Eucharist at St Catherine's. The service started with the Mariners' Hymn '... for those in peril on the sea', which to be fair, is trinitarian in its verse structure. I wondered if this was a tongue in cheek choice for Trinity Sunday, as some folk seem to be all at sea when it comes to speaking meaningfully about this aspect of the divine life. Having encountered the worship and spirituality of Eastern Orthodox churches in my time at University, this wasn't so much of a problem for me. The idea of the inexhaustible as well as unfathomable mystery of God appealed to me then as now.

I was fine until lunchtime, but then had an uncomfortable setback, which may be a stomach bug, which has also been afflicting Clare this past few days. At least I can't put it down to anything different that I've eaten or drunk over the past forty eight hours. So, I had an extra long siesta and forced myself to go out for an hour's walk, and went to bed after supper, as sitting down was too uncomfortable. It's disappointing, after a week of slow improvement. Like the weather, we have no control over it. At least, when I was walking up the path alongside the Taff, I glimpsed a grey heron in flight, and then a couple of dozen swifts foraging for insects at high speed in the sky at Blackweir Bridge. Cloud cover and chill may make it feel a bit like March, but these birds tell a different tale! 

I had Father's Day What'sApp messages from the children, even though they know how suspicious I am of such consumer generated fiestas. I do appreciate hearing from them, and so grateful to have had the privilege of being called 'Dad' for two thirds of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment