Wednesday 26 June 2019

Sale bargain Chromebook

Clare was afflicted with a sore throat and cough over the weekend, and I followed suit yesterday. It meant we both spent the day lying low, foregoing an invitation to a Friends tea Party at RWCMD, to welcome the new College Principal. Even so, I made an effort to go out and walk as usual, aiming to increase my daily distance from four to five. 

Despite the onset of the virus, I managed five and three quarter miles, down to the Bay Wetland area to take a few bird photos. I walked part of the way back from the Millennium Centre, rather than stand around waiting for a bus, then picked up a number six bus, half way along Lloyd George Avenue to Central station, and a perfectly timed 61 bus from Westgate Street. I didn't feel exhausted after, which says something good about my general state of health, as the wound continues to dry out. I just wish my surgeon could see this, as it doesn't reflect what the MRI scan of nearly two months ago reported. I still haven't heard anything. It's as if I don't exist, a repeat performance of what happened before operation number two.

I celebrated the Eucharist with five others at St Catherine's this morning. After lunch I went into town and bought a new high spec Asus C302CA Chromebook, discounted from its original £450 to £300, in the John Lewis summer sale. It is, to my mind worth paying for something with a 10-12 hour battery life, HD touch screen and superior back-lit keyboard. What's so super about Chromebooks is being able to log into your Google account, and within minutes be looking at a clone of your familiar customised display layout. Plus, the newest devices run Android apps, so those you have installed on your Android phone can also be installed, if wish, on your laptop. Dull sameness for some people maybe, but for others desirable convenience and consistency. I wish I could persuade my sister June to give Chromebook a go. There's nothing new or unfamiliar needing to be learned.

Pleased with myself for walking over six miles today. I noticed, passing by the station that a large sign saying 'BBC Wales' has been mounted on the top right hand corner of Number 3 Central Square the Beeb's new HQ, currently being kitted out and moved into by Llandaff based staff. Official opening is in September. The last time I took a picture of the building end of February, there was no sign, so when this happened is a mystery. Curiously it doesn't show up in the media coverage I have so far googled.

No comments:

Post a Comment