Tuesday 24 September 2019

Imagination at Llandaff Cathedral

After a sunny Sunday, it rained for most of yesterday. I did the grocery shopping in the morning, cooked lunch, then kitted out in full rain gear, went into town on the bus and walked home in the afternoon. I wanted to find a book I'd heard about for Clare's birthday present, and was disappointed to learn that it has only been published in the USA. Even if ordered on Amazon, it's doubtful that it'd arrive by Saturday. I'd prefer to buy from a real bookshop in any case, Instead, I found a CD that I'm confident she'll enjoy, and a card that'll make her smile. Job done. 

It drizzled most of today as well. Not that it bothered me much, as I was absorbed by the news about the High Court unanimous decision to rule as illegal Boris Johnson's action in proroguing Parliament. This is unique and unprecedented in English history. The consequences are likely to be far reaching.

I walked up the Taff calling in at the Cathedral when it started to rain. There was an exhibition in the St David Chapel presenting course work from eight local architecture students, whose brief was to devise a project proposal with drawings, to transform the site of the Prebendal House, or the site of the ruins of the nearby mediaeval Bishop's Palace into a centre for community music education and recitals, a church hall and offices to support the Cathedral's mission through music.

It's such an imaginative thing to do, given the desire to improve the facilities used by the Cathedral choir, which are less than fit for purpose when it comes to developing new initiatives. Engaging in dialogue of this kind is a creative way to start a conversation in the Cathedral community about what will best serve the future development of its work and witness, and get everyone to take an interest. Much more lively an initiative than any paper consultation exercise!

The choir director and choristers passed through while I was looking at the exhibition, on their way to rehearse for choral evensong. I listened to them singing Wood's Magnificat in D and Burgon's Nunc Dimittis, but didn't stop for the service, as I was only a quarter a way through my walk, and didn't want to get back too soon. The latter piece of music was hauntingly familiar, as it was used as theme music for the BBC version of John le Carre's 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' forty years ago. This is the first time I've heard it used in worship since then. Incredible coincidence or crafty homage to an old TV masterpiece? 

No comments:

Post a Comment