Sunday 1 September 2019

People on the streets

I was up early again this morning, and ready to leave home for a visit to the church of St Dyfrig and St Samson in Grangetown for the first of my interregnum duties there at nine. It's only ten minutes drive, but the threat of early road closures occasioned by this morning's 10k Kidney Wales fundraising fun run, prompted an early start, just in case.

There was a congregation of eighteen 60-90 year olds plus a couple of grandchildren, welcoming, cheerful and lively participants in the liturgy. The church hosts the local Romanian Orthodox Liturgy, now weekly, following straight after, but there was time for coffee and a chat before I set out for St Catherine's.

By that time, road closures and diversions had started, and traffic queues, meant that the return trip took me nearly twenty five minutes. As this left me rather late to join Clare in the congregation, I went straight home instead, started cooking some meat for lunch and then went out for a walk.

I hope there are no more road closures on other Sundays this month when I'm in Grangetown and then returning to take another service at St Catherine's. Given the amount of weekend shopping traffic coming into the city, road closures due to sporting events are disruptive for many people not involved as participants or spectators. All part of 'live and let live' in urban life I suppose.

The Sikh community was also due to make a procession from Tudor Street to the Castle today in honour of the birthday of Guru Nanak, and the anniversary of their Gurdwara. Roads would be closed for this too, though not for so long. Last weekend was the Gay Pride procession around town to City Hall. There were Christians involved in that for sure, but as individuals rather than in a group. It's been many decades since there was last a specifically Christian religious procession of any size through the city centre.

Walking in the park again later in the afternoon I caught sight of a group of eight Missel Thrushes which is rather unusual. Normally you're luck to see a pair  I later learned that they tend to migrate south in groups to over-winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment