Friday 27 September 2019

Birthday opera treat

It rained on and off for most of the day, which was frustrating, as Clare had arranged for a carpenter to come and rebuild the frame of the door on to the lane at the end of the garden. Despite dodging the downpours, he worked diligently and did a superb job. Clare has already decided to trail a climbing plant across the lintel. When we get a dry day, I'll give the new ensemble a coat of preservative paint. The previous construction lasted ten years before rotting away. Hopefully this one will last longer.

Sister in Law Ann arrived in time for a late lunch today. Her birthday falls next week, so we invited her to come for the weekend, and a night at the opera. Before we drove to Cardiff Bay, I managed a shorter than usual walk in between showers. The river Taff was running high and fast, displacing almost of the resident waterfowl. I hear the squawk of one heron, a few minutes before I saw another perched on the limb of a dead tree overhanging the river, and got a super photo about 10 metres away.

This evening's opera was the premiere of a new version of Verdi's Rigoletto. We sat in the front row of the ground floor circle, a good seat but not quite enough leg-room, or should I say wriggle room for me, so it was an effort to remain comfortable throughout, despite my much improved condition.

The production was new, with a contemporary mise-en-scene - Washington's Capitol Hill, and the cast wore suits. One scene was placed in the imposing office of a public official (suggestions of the Presidential Oval Office. The audience sniggered as the lights went up. Point taken, since it's a tale of powerful men abusing women, corruption, vengeance and hitmen from 170 years ago. It worked well in a modern context. The layout and presentation of the scenery for several acts, though given a face lift, seemed much the same to me as in the previous production, which I've seen twice, though I can't exactly remember when. The singing from all the main characters was sublimely beautiful, fresh flawless and unflagging right to the end. I splendid birthday treat for Clare and Ann alike.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment