Friday 20 September 2019

Post-op day

Yesterday was the fiftieth anniversary of my ordination to the diaconate. I have taken out the slim leather bound KJV New Testament given to me by the Bishop and stole I wore for that occasion, made for me by Clare from the material used in her wedding dress, ready to use as visual aids, when I preach my anniversary sermon about the Diaconate at St Catherine's this Sunday. I've already printed out the text, but keep looking at it and editing it again in my head. Fine if you have the time to do it. 

I had a comfortable refreshing night's sleep, and was up early in the sunshine. I'm amazed at how quiet the wound has been. Two walks to the shops for groceries this morning, then my usual walk around Pontcanna Fields early afternoon, five and a half miles altogether, and not feeling tired afterwards. It indicates how energy draining the wound condition was in the months of waiting for op number three. 

As Clare was out at the spa, I spent several afternoon hours watching two episodes of 'Inspector (but now Comissar Borowski' on 'Walter Presents'. Series One was good, and Series Two is even better, revealing a man at work who is as good at intuition as he is at observation. His feisty geeky female partner is a Chief Inspector, now and has grown out of being his protege into more critical and conflictual relationship. The strengths and weaknesses of both characters are well drawn, and story lines often unusual, if not odd, occasionally verging on the bizarre, mildly humorous. a good watch. The north German way of speaking is easy to follow with the subtitles, adding to the enjoyment.

I sat at ease on the sofa watching the telly for three hours before supper, and was more comfortable in doing this and less fidgety than I've been in the past year. This is so good for the morale. I went and bought a card to write a thank you note to Mrs Cornish the surgeon. I feel the need to tell her that such a small intervention has made such a positive difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment