Sunday 5 July 2020

Windy Sunday

After saying Morning prayer, I listened to Sunday Worship on Radio Four led by the Rector of Saint James' Piccadilly, Lucy Winkett. For the Church of England this was the first Sunday in four months that it was possible for public worship to take place in church. This is not possible in Wales yet, but churches will be open for prayer for a few hours on a couple of days this week, which is a start. 

I'd expected the radio service to be a Celebration of the Eucharist but it was something quite different and unusual, an extended reflection on spirituality and music. I imagine it would have taken much time to prepare and record and was probably was planned before it was announced officially that English public worship would recommence. It was very good anyway. 

After breakfast, I watched the Canton Benefice on-line Eucharist with Clare, the first time I have done so since my return and the end of two weeks quarantine. This obligatory exercise for travellers returning from abroad is soon to end, due to pressure from holiday and travel industries. Much doubt was expressed about the value of the exercise by the epidemiological experts, but the Home Secretary ignored this, making it clear that where this government is concerned yet again science plays second fiddle to chaotic, ill thought out policy and political expediency.

It didn't rain today, but a strong blustery wind drove the ambient temperature down below fifteen. The sun shone through the clouds when I went out, giving the impression in our sheltered side street that it was warmer than it turned out to be. I got as far as Cafe Castan and then had to return home and put on warmer clothes as the wind was chilling me to the bone. And this is July!

I went out again and walked in the opposite direction to Victoria Park, visited St Luke's to take some more photos of the shrine established in the entrance porch with an image of the evangelist labelled St Luke the Healer, decorated with a NHS logo on his chest. I did this a couple of days ago and was disappointed to find that the photos I took were poor quality as the camera lens had partly fogged up without me noticing. There were lots of young families out in Victoria Park, plus dog walkers, but few sat around on the grass as it was too cold in the wind.

After lunch and a siesta, another walk in the wind around Llandaff Fields. Amazing to see scores of crows on the grass, grounded by the high winds and squawking at each other, as if complaining about flying conditions. With nothing better to do in the evening, Clare and I watched a Maigret detective story, beautifully crafted, starring Rowan Atkinson, one I'd seen before unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment