Sunday 8 January 2023

Choral Sunday

Before getting up this morning I listened to BBC's Sunday Worship programme which came from Lviv in Ukraine, where Orthodox Christmas is being celebrated, according to the Old Julian Calendar, as is still the custom in Slavic Orthodoxy. Greek, Romanian and Bulgarian Orthodox use the contemporary calendar and make something special of the 7th January as the Feast of Christ's Baptism. Interestingly Bulgarian Orthodox, although culturally Slav follow the Western, rather than the Eastern Church calendar. It was lovely to hear Ukrainian carols and hymns being sung, with some beautiful prayers and reflection on the importance of celebrating Christ's birth despite the war.

After breakfast I drove to St Edward's to celebrate the Eucharist, expecting to observe the Feast of Christ's Baptism, so that was the focus of my sermon. After the service started I discovered that the service sheet of the day had the readings for Friday's Feast of the Epiphany. Too late to change it, so I had to ad lib the first part of my sermon and excuse myself for the confusion. Thankfully, it was well received in any case. And the Eucharist itself was very nicely sung by the choir of eight.

It seems the Church in Wales calendar allows for option of moving the Feast of Epiphany to the nearest Sunday as commonly happens with Ascension and All Saints these days. Clare said that Epiphany was observed in St Catherine's as well. I'm not sure there was a Mass in the parish on Friday Epiphany Day. Step by step we're losing the habit of putting on weekday festive celebrations. Encouraging the faithful to make the effort to turn out for them is an effort fewer want to invest in. 

I got back for lunch at one. Afterwards, Clare was getting ready to welcome her study group, so I walked to the Cathedral for three thirty Evensong. A notice board outside stated that there'd be a Sung Eucharist at four. I went inside and listen to the choir rehearse, intending to leave before the service started, as I'd been to the Eucharist of the day already. Then Father Mark arrived and came over to greet me. He reassured me that it was going to be Evensong after all, so I stayed for the service and so glad that I did. Two beautifully sung Anglican services in one day. It's a rarity these days.

After supper, two programmes worth watching - a new episode of 'Call the Midwife' and of 'Happy Valley' back to back. Then, I spent an hour working on the Lent study series which I'm writing on the Psalms of Lament to use at St Andrews Los Boliches before turning in for the night. It would be good if I can present the scheme proprly at tomorrow Zoom meeting.



No comments:

Post a Comment