Saturday 21 January 2023

New Bishop elected decisively

It's still around freezing, but awakening to sunshine is the best start to the day for me. I learned from WhatsApp that Assistant Bishop of Bangor Mary Stallard is to be next Bishop of Llandaff. Clear learned from Frances yesterday evening, and forgot to tell me. It seems the Electoral College reached its conclusion in two thirds of its allotted time. Mary is well thought of, so it's not so surprising really. She was ordained in Monmouth and worked in three other Welsh dioceses, but not Llandaff. It's not going to be easy for her. If she can raise morale and get all parties behind her, who knows what will be possible?

After breakfast an electrician hired by Clare arrived to fit additional electrical sockets in the front room and remove an unused  ancient burglar alarm which tends to go off if there's a power cut. Not good for the neighbours if we're away or out at the time! He worked flat out for over four hours to do the job, and the result is pleasing, as we can power all our electrical appliances without messy space consuming extensions.

In the post, arriving just after the electrician was the Samsung phone. The Tesco SIM card when inserted was working, but only to say it wasn't going to send or receive calls. I walked over to Tesco Extra for help  from their mobile phone counter to troubleshoot the problem. A kind and helpful young man went through various procedures to eliminate faults and confirmed the SIM was in fact working. He demonstrated this by inserting it into the second SIM slot in the SIM tray of my new phone, and sending it a text message. The conclusion was that the phone itself, for no apparent reason is locked, and needs unlocking, but it couldn't be done except by EE's mobile service. 

I walked back through the park and took a bus into town along Cathedral Road, to visit the BT/EE store in St David's centre. The man on the welcome desk said that it couldn't be done in store, and that I needed to go on-line or ring up the EE helpline. Not really helpful, and a wasted journey. I got home well after two, and found a comforting pot of still warm salmon and veggie soup which Clare prepared anticipating the electricity being cut off at lunchtime. Strength restored, I consulted my EE mobile account, and hunted for a while until I found the page that serves the unlocking procedure. It was straightforward and only took five minutes, but it was a bit fiddly with long numbers to type and re-type on the Samsung phone. 

As soon as the procedure was complete, the Samsung came to life and now works as it did when I first put my SIM card into it back in 2017. Now it has my sister's Gmail account working on it and Android needs whatever updating is possible for a seven year old phone. It needs to be able to attach to her wi-fi network, but I'm not sure I can do that if I'm not there in the room. 

Clare went to 'Amser Jazz' again late afternoon and returned in time for another remarkable, beautiful edition of 'Winterwatch'. There was a slow moving American movie set in the Depression years on BBC Four which I watched part of but gave up on before it finished. I had other things to do before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment