Tuesday 17 January 2023

Real winter chill

Wonderful to wake up to sunshine and a clear blue sky. It stayed like that all day, just a few degrees above freezing. Housework as usual after breakfast, made more onerous by the vacuum cleaner losing suction power. It turned out that two of its sections weren't properly clipped together so the seal between the two components wasn't properly tight. Easily fixed once the problem was diagnosed. Also its roller brush was thickly wrapped around with strands of grey hair - mine rather than Clare's I reckon, as mine are longer!

After an early lunch of mussels with rice and veggies we drove to Rumney for a hairdressing session with Chris, both of us. I was thinking about having it cut short again, but relented when decision time came. It's enjoyable having such long hair, particularly in winter. I won't stop losing hair at my age, but it can be slowed down by proper maintenance Chris reckons. I defer to his skill and fifty years of hands-on experience as a master coiffeur.

I walked a mile up to the main road from his shop to the Post Office to mail a small birthday present to my sister while Clare was having her hair done. We learned that Martin is in Egypt for a month, and will then travel on to India, Sri Lanka and Oman before returning home. Chris is off to see his parents in Canada shortly. He said his parents will be celebrating their diamond wedding this year. An amazing couple. 

On the way back we called in the Dunelm Mill store on Newport Road, as Clare wanted to see if there was anything worth buying in their huge discount sale. She bought a new duvet cover at half price and we shared a teacake with a cup of coffee before re-joining the slow traffic queue across the city centre. Then I went out for a test walk in the dark, wearing my new long winter coat. It's going to be useful now that really cold weather is upon us.

After supper I wrote a short piece to introduce myself to chaplaincy members at St Andrew's Los Boliches, and sent it to Jen along with a new photo. I also put the finishing touches to a biblical reflection for Morning Prayer the day I leave for Spain. Then I watched this week's episode of 'Silent Witness', looking into the world of social media influencers after an unexplained death at a festival. The introduction of a profoundly deaf character communicating with sign language and contributing in an interesting way to the story development in this series is most interesting innovation.

Before turning in for the night, as the house was quiet, I recorded what I'd written earlier. The temperature outside, minus three.


No comments:

Post a Comment