Sunday 26 February 2023

February Beach Sunday

I woke up before the alarm at seven, had breakfast, packed my bag for the morning's duties and was out of the house on my way to Calahonda by twenty to nine. There were seventeen of us this week. 

We had two Scandinavian visitors, and their accent made me think they were Swedish so I asked, and was told they were Finnish from a northern region bordering on the Arctic Circle where Swedish is usually spoken as well as Finnish. 

Sara told me later, when I queried her about it, that Swedish speaking Finns speak Swedish in a clearer purer way than Swedes do, influenced by how Finnish is spoken, every consonant and vowel pronounced. Fascinating. An elderly couple arrived as others were leaving and asked about the church and they spoke Italian, and said they were from Rome. I did my best to recall some basic Italian to speak with them, but Spanish kept getting in the way, but they seemed to understand anyway!

I then drove up to Alhaurin, and this time didn't get lost en route. We were fourteen altogether. I went to the village cafe after the service for a drink before driving down the hill. A Mancunian in the group spoke about how he and his wife met and married back in the seventies. He was a consummate story teller with brilliant comic timing. His tale and his style reminded me of listening to an Alan Aykbourne monologue. When I reached home well after two, I found the car had lost a front hub cap since I left this morning. I've no idea how or when. I've been careful to avoid pavement kerbs and potholes since the disaster of losing a tyre on my first Sunday here. I didn't see that coming.

I cooked some  chorizo to add to the second portion of vegetables I cooked yesterday, and succeeded in setting off the smoke alarm. I couldn't make the cancellation button work, but as soon as I switched on the cooker hood's fan it stopped thankfully.

Afterwards I walked down to church to deposit the collection money from Alhaurin in the church safe and then went for a walk along the shore. By the time I reached there the entire promenade was in the shadow of all the high rise hotels, although the sun was two hours away from the horizon. A rather self defeating architectural layout really. Anyway the sun was still there on the sand, and there were family groups sitting out together. Six separate beach volleyball courts had been set up and were being played upon by groups of youngsters. 

It's the first time I've so many young people out and about enjoying life here, as opposed to working in bars and restaurants. For the most part, the Paseo Maritime is occupied by the over sixties and a handful of young families. This weekend it's been mild enough to populate the beach, for at least part of the day. Rain was expected earlier this week, but there's been none. Amazing when you think this is the last weekend in February.

Before supper, Clare and I chatted, then I settle down for several hours of reading before it was time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment