Tuesday 28 February 2023

Regional self government celebrated quietly

I went to bed too late last night and got up late this morning. Just as well there's no duties scheduled for today. After breakfast I listened to Jim Al Khalili's 'Life Scientific' interview with a leading ground breaking immunologist about research into the role of T-cells in the body's immune system and the impact this is having on medical diagnosis and treatment. It was fascinating.

Meanwhile, I was fiddling with my phone and spotted a photo of the plant I puzzled over yesterday, which led to the discovery that it's called African Wood Sorrel or Sourgrass. It's not an indigenous plant of Andalucia but an invasive species from South Africa that spreads through proliferation of its root system. At least this gives a reason why it's not listed among native species. There are hundreds of variants of this plant, some of them are edible, others not. Well, it's nice to know.

Today is 'El Dia de Andalucia' celebrating autonomous regional government in a federation of provinces - Huelva, Sevilla, Cádiz, Córdoba, Granada, Málaga, Jaén, and Almería. It was voted into existence in 1980, after Franco's death, bringing devolved government as in Wales, Ireland and Scotland, affirming regional identity with its own flag and anthem, music costumes, fiesta, plus today's bank holiday. No wonder it's quieter with less traffic on autovia this morning.

After lunch I walked to Los Boliches then all the way to the Plaza de España and the Ayuntamiento on the other side of the town centre, checking on the way to see if anything was happening to celebrate this day, but there weren't. It was like an ordinary Sunday, with people relaxing and chatting over a meal or taking a leisurely paseo. 

Then I decided to find out where the town's Lux Mundi ecumenical social centre is located. I remembered it was in a side street, not far from the Plaza de España. With help and instructions from Google map app, I found it, and should now be able to find my way back there. It's strange that only a few days ago I was at the end of the street where the building is, but with my back to it, looking at an interesting housing project built around an enclosed courtyard with restaurants and shops at ground level, no vehicle access, but parking underground. OK if you don't mind a place where other residents aren't at all far away.

I walked back to the station to take the train back to Los Boliches, as I was beginning to tire. Another evening of exchanging messages with Martin in Egypt now after a spell in India, a chat with Clare and this week's Morning Prayer email from Ruth to expand into a ready to read text. Then, more time spent reading before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment