Saturday 4 February 2023

West of centre Fuengirola revisited

I spent most of the morning after breakfast editing the draft I made of tomorrow's sermon at Saint Andrew's, then took a walk around the block with my Olympus before making lunch. For the second time in a few days I spotted a colourful butterfly browsing for nectar on a low lying hedge covered with equally bright coloured flowers. I was ready for it this time and was pleased with this photo I took.

First seen on the 2nd of the month, and I've seen bumble bees too. Surprising to see when it's been so cold, but there are flower trees and plants of one sort or another all year round in this part of the world.

Having finished the crime novel I was reading late last night, I went down to church after lunch to swop it for another, then took the train to Fuengirola town centre for a walk through the main shopping area and civic centre. Everything in the public realm looks beautifully well kept. Last time I was here the surroundings of the Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen in Plaza de España, near the Ayuntamiento were a building site, with an accommodation bloc being added to the north side of the church, for what purpose I don't know. It's long been completed, the area is in pristine condition with a children's play area in a shady park. You don't have to stray far from the hotels and tourist venues to find yourself in congenial places where local citizens predominate.

On my way back to the station, I found Dunne's department store next to La Rampa Hotel. I think there's another one on the other side of the N340, but this one I recall from before, It's small and an awkwardly places remnant of an earlier era in retail accommodation. An up escalator but no down one, only stairs and a lift, and an awkwardly placed entrance. Anyway, I just wanted to check if they still sold gents clothing, which they do. I'll come back another day when I've decided what I actually need to buy.

I took the train back to Los Boliches and walked up the hill straight away to be back in time to call Clare at six, and give her a tour of the house via a WhatsApp video call. After supper, I printed off my sermon and listened to 'Cosi Fan Tutte' on Radio Three. What a sublime treat. Then a start on my new novel for a while before turning in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment