Friday 3 February 2023

Volunteer organist recruited

Today it's not been quite so cold as it has been since I arrived, a cool rather than an icy breeze. I started to pull together the images for next week's Morning Prayer video, and realised I'd need to take a couple more to include a visual reference to my ministry here at St Andrew's, so that had to wait until later in the day. Then a car journey to La Cala de Mijas to visit Linda and Peter and give them Communion. It was lovely to be with them again.

I got back in time to cook lunch, and then went down to church to rendezvous with Dave, who's offered to play the organ for us at St Andrew's on Sunday. He wanted to practice and be briefed about the service. It seems the organ has been used rarely, if at all since covid. It's increasingly difficult to find any organist, it seems. Dave and Annette are Brits who emigrated to Canada year ago. With their children they own and run a vineyard by Lake Ontario, which they have developed from scratch, earning their living producing and selling wine. It was fascinating to chat about how they have done this between bouts of organ practise.

Afterwards, I walked down to paseo maritime, and talked with Clare on WhatsApp, before returning to Casa de la Esperanza as the sun was setting. It was just mild enough to go without a top coat, as long as you didn't linger for long - 12-14C this evening. I stopped at a greengrocer's shop on the hill to but some onions, and came away with a small box of dates for one euro as well. A nice little treat!

After supper I completed and uploaded the Morning Prayer video. It took ten times as long for the finished product to arrive on YouTube as it does at home. I need to take this into account when planning this task in future. It can't be done in a hurry. Same with photos too, slow to upload. But at least it's reliable, once its speed limitations are accepted!

I finished the day reading for an hour which ended up being an hour and a half, before turning in late again. My internal clock hasn't really adjusted to the time zone advance yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment