Monday 6 February 2023

Monday maintenance

For the first time since I arrived, I didn't need to switch the heating on before getting up. The ambient temperature overnight was 10-11C, and as soon as the sun rises, everywhere warms up quickly to a comfortable 16-17C, and no top coat is needed. There's a heavy rain warning, but not a cloud in sight.

I swept the floors and sorted the non organic rubbish, to deposit in the basura on my way to Mercadona for groceries. Sadly my effort was wasted. There are four subterranean bins whose lids are labelled organica, just one labelled papel, another labelled vidrio (for glass) and another labelled envases where all plastic, foil lined cartons cans and un-recyclable wrappers are to be put.

Which reminds me, when I was going down the hill yesterday afternoon, I saw an old lady with a large rubbish bag standing at the pedestrian crossing and talking loudly. She didn't appear to be talking into a phone or a hands free set, as so commonly occurs nowadays. I heard a squawk, and then noticed the green parrot sitting on her right shoulder. If only I'd been quick witted enough to take a photo there and then!

I returned with an assortment of vegetables, bread and tinned fish, and cooked the defrosted chicken with onion, squash, red pepper, olives and tomato triturado - the Spanish equivalent of  Italian passata. I've seen it smeared on a tostado with olive oil by fans of a savoury start to the day at breakfast.

Jen told me that Joan, one of oldest long standing church members died early this morning. The funeral is at midday on Wednesday. Caroline and John will take the service at her request. I'm already scheduled to celebrate the ten thirty Eucharist and those unable to attend the funeral will be able to remember her in prayer just beforehand.

After lunch I walked down to Los Boliches, and hunted for a papeleria to buy a condolence card to send to Marion. In several different shops there were an assortment of cards, but all of them were cheery congratulatory ones, not a single thing suitable to send on the occasion of a bereavement. How strange! In the end I got a couple of envelopes to write a letter and bought the required stamp in a tobacco store.

As I walked back up the hill, big cumulus clouds rolled in from the west. Rain is forecasted overnight and tomorrow. Caroline is poorly, so we won't be meeting for a catch-up coffee tomorrow. I think I'll go to Malaga and visit the big El Corte Inglés to see how it's changed post pandemic.

After a chat with Clare and supper, I started work and got absorbed in writing a sermon for next Sunday, The evening just slipped away and it was time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment