Tuesday 25 April 2023

Limitations

A lovely bright and sunny day, but still as cold as it was in February. After breakfast Clare made things ready for the visit of her study, so I drove over to the School of Optometry to collect my spec's from their change of nose pad. The new pads are larger and more comfortable. And it was done for free!

I drove from there to a house on the edge of the Parish for a bereavement visit. When I got back Clare was cooking a fish pie mix with a sauce made from the experimental pesto I made with rocket leaves a few days ago. The pesto gave the sauce a nice pale green colour, but it had little flavour. An experiment not worth repeating. I could have walked to both of these appointments, but not with them back to back, so I needed to use the car, desirable or not. 

It's due to be re-insured at the end of this month, and for the first time in over fifty years, Clare will not be named as a second driver, because of her failing eyesight. It's a sad landmark in an active mobile life. Forty years ago she owned a camper van and commuted to Bristol from Chepstow to work. On holiday in France, Switzerland and Italy, we took it in turns to drive. Now both of us are content to use public transport, and wonder if we could manage altogether without a car.

I siesta'd for an hour after lunch, then went for a walk around Thompsons Park and Llandaff Fields, then down to the the shops on Cowbridge Road to buy a pack of disposable razors. I don't think I am going to be able to use my electric razor any more. Although the charging cable I bought last week fits, the chargers I have aren't power rated high enough to charge it properly. I'm just leaving it on for several days to see if it will gain any charge  at all.

Clare went off to choir practice, so I had supper on my own, and started watching a 'Helsinki Crimes' a Finnish crimmie series on telly, set in city. After she returned, I relinquished the telly to her, so she could watch another 'Call the Midwife' episode. She's binge watching old episodes at the moment. Instead of watching the rest of the episode on my laptop, I set to work writing the eulogy for the first of the two funerals I'm booked to take in the next few weeks, and made contact with the next of kin about the other funeral, and arranged to see the family at St John's after Mass on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment