Tuesday 13 June 2023

Life with marvellous music added

I don't know what happened to the thunderstorms and sudden downpours predicted for yesterday, but they passed Cardiff by. Today is nearly as hot as the Costa del Sol, blue skies and sunny. Clare went out before me to an eye hospital appointment. After responding to a few messages, and doing some work on Rufus' business web presentation text, I drove to my dental appointment in Llandaff North, as I didn't fancy walking up the Taff Trail in the heat. Just as well too. The anaesthetic I was given before the filling was done left me feeling slightly odd and wobbly for an hour or so afterwards as the numbness wore off. Have I become more sensitive to a local anaesthetic since the last time, a couple of years ago?

I called into Lidl's near the surgery for a few items of shopping before heading for home and cooking lunch. Clare had an extra long wait for her consultation and returned just as I finished cooking everything except the veggie sausages. We ate our plates of veggies together, while her sausages cooked, and then ate our sausages separately as a second course. During lunch we listened excerpts from the first Cardiff Singer of the World song contest recital from the RWCMD. What a treat!

Then I had a bereavement visit to make out Fairwater, and caught the 61 bus which took me within ten minutes walk of my destination. Unfortunately Google Maps misdirected me to a different address from the one I sought directions for, navigating me to a street elsewhere where a random touch on the screen had 'dropped a pin' on the map (as Google calls it), which the AI bot interpreted unquestioningly as a change of destination. This added an extra five minutes to my walk, and much more annoyance and confusion. It's not as smart as it thinks it is.

Anyway, I ended up at the correct address, where I met the brother of the deceased who'd helped to care for her over most of their lifetimes, as she was disabled and vulnerable. Another lovely story of family making it possible for a person to live a supported life in the local community, and receiving boundless love and appreciation in return.

I returned on the 61 just as Plasmawr school students were leaving and congregating at the bus stop. The ride back to Pontcanna was very crowded indeed. Then back to work on Rufus' project, before and after supper.

Clare got back from her meditation group just in time for tonight's round of Cardiff Singer of the World. All the singers were impressive, yet again, but the clear winner was another South African soprano, and we thought the same as the jury, for the third time in a row. Wonderful music!


No comments:

Post a Comment