Sunday 25 June 2023

Milestone party

An early start this morning to be at St Peter's for the 9.30 Mass. We were about fifty adults and children, and a young lad of about ten assisted me as a server and told me what I need to do. He's being trained nicely by one of the church wardens, which is a delight to see, as they have no parish priest of their own any longer. 

The I drove to St Luke's for the eleven o'clock Mass, and had to park 350 yards from church, but as traffic wasn't heavy I arrived with eight minutes to spare and we started four minutes late. A boy of about nine was one of the serving team, acting as boat boy, but also, at communion time was charged with the task of fetching the reserved sacrament from the aumbry in the side chapel for use at the altar. He did it punctually and confidently, enjoying this special little responsibility. 

It's the sort of thing which couldn't have happened a few years back, as it was though you had to be grown up to do things like that, if not a priest or deacon. It's things like this that make me think that although the church is in dire straights, failing fast, there are ember of hope nevertheless. There were nineteen adults present, plus the lad in question.

I was a matter of a snack lunch and early siesta for Clare, as I'd promised to get us to Chris and Martin's place in Newport for two thirty, to help prepare for Martin's 70th birthday party. My job was the pull the corks on the main red wine of the day and decant it so that it had six hours to breathe, which it needed as it was 14.5% abv, rich fruity Puglian Primitivo. He rang me with a video call from Lidl's the other day to ask my advice on what was on offer there. He showed me the bottles and I googled them to check and reported back, then he bought ten, plus a selection of whites as well.

There were over seventy guests and dozens of children. Martin had thrown a special childrens' party the day before, having hired a party venue which happens to be on his neighbours property, an entrepreneur who runs an events management company from the 19th century mansion he bought and restored next door for his headquarters and a celebration location he owns and uses. The house was formerly home to the Bishop of Monmouth. A huge marquee was erected in the grounds with stunning views of Newport, and used for the evening's banquet, and entertainment by a classical singer and two Jazz musicians. The afternoon reception and pre supper drinks was held the Chris and Martin's house next door up the hill. It was a wonderful event, well organised with lovely food, just running a bit too late into the evening after my busy morning. I'll be tired tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment