Thursday 15 June 2023

Found in contempt

Another bright sunny start to the day with the temperature rising into the twenties early in the day. For the first time this year, it was hot enough to leave the house without wearing a jacket. First I went to Tesco's and bought supplies for our food-bank donation then attended the Eucharist at St John's. There were seven of us present. My ride to Thornhill crem for the funeral at midday collected me from outside the church. 

By the time I arrived home for a Clare cooked curry lunch, news reports were arriving about the findings of the Parliamentary Privileges committee about activities in the Prime Minister's office during the covid lock-down. It couldn't have been more scathing, and critical of Boris Johnston, more so as a result of the written remarks in his resignation letter, deemed to be contempt of Parliament. The severest of sanctions were recommended against him. What's amazing is how many parliamentarians and well as interviewees feel he's been unfairly treated, still under the illusion that the leader of the government should be allowed to act above and beyond the law. It says a lot about the decay of shared common values in modern Britain. A vote to accept the findings of the report may take place tomorrow, though it's not yet certain in the tense political climate of the Commons at the moment. 

After lunch I walked to Llandaff village to make a bereavement visit for a funeral the week after next. The widow now lives in a retirement home, having moved a few months ago from Creigau, where she'd been a member of St David's Groesfaen congregation. The more we spoke the more her face seemed familiar. On a few occasions, I covered services there not long after I retired. As a busy steward and welcomer she wouldn't have remembered me, but I remembered her. That's the gift of a good visual memory, I guess.

When I got home, I spent the rest of the afternoon and much of the evening preparing and recording next week's Morning Prayer video to have as much time as possible free for Jasmine's stay with us. The Cardiff Singer of the World song recital competition wasn't on live at the earlier time tonight, but scheduled as a recording between ten and midnight. Too late for me. I started getting ready for bed as soon as the evening news finished after a tiring day, exacerbated by the wax build up in my right year. It always gets worse in the heat of summer, and these days you have to to pay to get treatment. Our GP surgery doesn't offer the service, the way it used to.


No comments:

Post a Comment